403 total views, 3 views today
- Republic Act No. 8435 – Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Act (AFMA) of 1997 that promulgates the “prioritization of education and training to accelerate social progress and promote total human liberation and development”.
- Brainchild of the National Integrated Research Development and Extension Program (NIRDEAP) for Coffee of the Cavite State University (CvSU) and the Bureau of Agriculture Research (BAR).
- The NIRDEAP for Coffee, which was written and implemented in 1999, was in response to the call of the AFMA to uplift the Philippine coffee industry.
- The potential of coffee industry in contributing to the betterment of the Philippine economy will only be realized if concerted effort to improve the industry is pushed.
- The re-entry of high quality grade of Philippine Coffee to the world market such as CAVITE AA and others may further boost the coffee industry thereby alleviating poverty in the countryside.
- The initiative and present accomplishments of the Cavite State University in coffee research, development and extension, has been instrumental in improving the productivity of coffee farmers and the quality of coffee in the province and in national level.
Vision / Mission / Goals / Strategies
- To be locally and internationally known for coffee research, development and extension program.
- To strengthen research and development activities and enhance the extension delivery system that will lead to increased productivity, sustainability, and global competitiveness of the Philippine coffee.
- Improve varieties of coffee in the Philippines;
- Maintain a genebank and germplasm collection for coffee;
- Develop an environmentally sound production and processing technologies that will improve the socio-economic well-being of coffee farmers and stakeholders;
- Produce technically-equipped coffee production specialists;
- Improve national and international linkages;
- Support policies that will increase the Coffee Research, Development and Extension Programs (RD&E) in the country.
- Conduct scientific research that will improve the varieties of coffee;
- Establish a Mother Clonal Garden (MCG) and germplasm collection;
- Conduct research activities that will lead to the development of sound production and processing technologies;
- Conduct trainings, symposia, workshops and the like to cater the needs of coffee farmers, researchers, specialists, and other stakeholders of the coffee industry;
- Strong partnership with farming communities, research institutions and other agencies/organizations that share NCRDEC’s mission; and
- Provide studies that would give an in-depth analysis of the coffee industry for policy, advocacy and law makers.
Research and Extension
Responsible for the conduct of research activities that will lead to the development of sound production, processing and marketing technologies. It shall also be responsible in producing high yielding and good quality seedlings of all coffee varieties.
Responsible in the establishment of demo farms, conduct of trainings, providing technical assistance and production and distribution of IEC materials as well as establishing linkages with international, government and non-government organizations.