|CvSU Science High School|
|Wednesday, 10 March 2010 08:29|
The present Cavite State University of Indang, Cavite was opened as a pioneer intermediate school in 1906. it was one of the four intermediate schools established in the province of Cavite during the first few years of the American occupation. The first teachers were Americans recruited from the United States Armed Forces with Mr. C.E. Workman as its first principal. The pupils who attended the School during the time were matured and advanced in ability. In addition to the 3R's, elementary agriculture was greatly emphasized.
In 1915, the School had its first Filipino principal by the name of Mr. Mariano Mondoñedo. Three years after, the Indang Intermediate School was changed into Indang Farm School. During this time, the intermediate classes were maintained with emphasis on vocational agriculture for boys and domestic science for girls.
A prominent person by the name of Severino delas Alas who was Secretary of Interior of the government under the late Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo donated a sizeable area to increase the field for laboratory purposes.
The school began to offer the first year secondary course in Vocational Agriculture in 1923. Later in 1927, the girls were admitted to classes above the intermediate level.
During the incumbency of Mr. Simeon Madlangsakay, the name of the institution was changed to Indang Rural High School.
The School graduated its first secondary agricultural class for boys in 1927, and the first secondary Home Economics class for girls in 1931.
In recognition of the valuable services to the community, to the province of Cavite and to the nation as a whole of Don Severino delas Alas, the name of the institution was changed by Congressional action to Don Severino National Agricultural School in 1958. This name was retained up to 1964 when it was converted into College by virtue of the Republic Act No. 3917 on June 18, 1964. Under this Act, the School was given its own charter and became known as the Don Severino Agricultural College. The College started offering degree courses while the High School was still offering Vocational Agriculture and Agricultural Homemaking Curriculum.
In 1984, the Agricultural Science Curriculum was added to the curricular offerings for high school students, allowing only one section for the said curriculum. The Vocational Agriculture and Agricultural Homemaking curricula were gradually phased out and replace by the New Secondary Education Curriculum but the Science Curriculum was retained.
Since the College of Education Teacher Education Department was using the high school department for the practicum of their Education students, the High School Department was called Secondary Education Laboratory School.
In 1998, the College became a university by virtue of the Republic Act 8468 which was signed on January 22, 1998. The name Don Severino Agricultural College then became Cavite State University. In 1998, the NSEC was totally phased out and only the Science Curriculum was retained. The name Secondary Education Laboratory School was then changed into CvSU Science High School in 2007. Some revisions were made to improve the curriculum in order to meet the present need and demands of the academic communities. The CvSU Science High School is now offering this revised Science Curriculum.
The periods covered by the school under different names since its establishment is as follows:
The persons who served as principals and teacher-in-charge of the school since its establishments were: